A Child’s Breath

We’re only here for a breath.

Some breathe longer than others, of course; like octogenarians shuffling to hit a hundred years.

Others, very little. They gasp -we gasp- and our only son is gone. Our only daughter is still. Our only grandchild grows forever cold.

What do we do when our child is gone? -When we’ll hold them and no longer feel the rising-falling-softness of life against our neck?

What can we do -those of us still breathing?

©2022 Chel Owens

Dedicated to my good friend who just lost her ‘baby,’ her sixteen-year-old son, unexpectedly. I don’t know what happened but my heart aches for her loss.

28 thoughts on “A Child’s Breath

1. bosssybabe September 27, 2022 / 1:45 pm

So incredibly sorry to hear … I don’t know your friend but I feel her pain but can’t imagine it at the same time….. wishing your friend the best, Chel…

• bosssybabe September 27, 2022 / 2:33 pm

☹️😔I know if I were in that situation or any terrible situation, all I’d want is companionship… companionship that didn’t require anything from me…. not hosting, not cooking, not talking, just someone being there until I was ready to talk or share…. I would just let her know you’re there for her anytime…. food is always good too… if you have the resources, send food… everyone has to eat… you’re a good friend, Chel! 💕

• Chel Owens September 27, 2022 / 3:56 pm

You’re right. I would both want people but not want people. I would want others to take care of things so I didn’t have to.

You feel like the world has stopped…

2. willowdot21 September 27, 2022 / 1:57 pm

Sending love and sympathy… It’s so harsh life is strange no rhyme or reason. A beautiful tribute 💜

• Chel Owens September 27, 2022 / 3:52 pm

❤️ It can be so harsh. You are right. Thank you, Willow. ❤️

3. M September 27, 2022 / 2:44 pm

Geez that’s bummer news, prayers to your friend in her time of loss

4. Tippy Gnu September 27, 2022 / 8:54 pm

The younger they are, the sadder it tends to be. What a shame.

• Chel Owens September 27, 2022 / 11:15 pm

Very true. ❤️
      My octogenarian relative has his Do Not Resuscitate paper prominently displayed on his refrigerator. 🙂

• Tippy Gnu September 28, 2022 / 5:30 am

I don’t blame him. I intend to do the same, after I reach that age.

5. petespringerauthor September 27, 2022 / 10:15 pm

Sad occasion but beautiful words, Chel. I think it would have to be the greatest loss not to see one’s kids achieve their dreams. I hope your friend gets the support and love she needs right now.

• Chel Owens September 27, 2022 / 11:15 pm

Thank you, Pete. ❤️ I agree, and don’t know what to bring her but will try to help.

6. Ian Kay September 28, 2022 / 4:29 am

Utterly tragic. Such a terrible thing to outlive your own child; at any age, I think, though the younger, the longer you live with it.

• Chel Owens September 28, 2022 / 11:57 am

I hadn’t thought of that. You’re right.

7. LA September 28, 2022 / 10:23 am

So sorry for you and your friend. Sending love

8. Gr8BigFun September 28, 2022 / 12:42 pm

Nothing can top the pain of losing a child. It is so cliche but our children are not supposed to die before we do. Best thing you can do is let the family know you are there if they need you.

• Chel Owens September 28, 2022 / 10:55 pm

❤️ Thank you, Greg. You are right. I think Disney and other films use loss as an easy story point so often we forget it can happen.

9. hbsuefred October 10, 2022 / 8:31 am

So sad and so shocking. Really puts the life we’re living at this moment in perspective. I’ve always said I was blessed in this regard having my elders for as long as I did and having the health and happiness of my children so far.

It might be difficult, but I’d appreciate knowing how Mormon believers view why this happened and what will happen to the family and this gone-too-soon young man.

• Chel Owens October 10, 2022 / 9:28 am

Losing a child ranks up there in my worst fears.

The LDS teachings describe an eternal existence that began before our life here and that continues into forever. There is no official ‘why’ something happens so much as a ‘God knows you and your pain and offers His comfort.’ -You know, officially.

Comments are closed.