And Then, She Thought to Herself…

Shh. I have a secret.

Photo by Sound On on Pexels.com

Come closer -or increase your screen’s resolution- and I’ll tell you.

I talk to myself -in a personal, mental, silent way.

…..

Hopefully I’ve not driven you off to find other, more sane bloggers. I think the behavior is normal, naturally. After all, I’m not having a conversation. I am narrating. This narrative used to be relayed in a British accent. Nowadays, I’m lucky to get basic vocabulary words straight.

Her kids were the ones at fault, really. Why else couldn’t Chelsea pour a simple cup of water from the pitcher, unless it was that those selfsame children hadn’t refilled it. Again. Chelsea sighed, and delayed the descent to insanity by enlisting a tried-and-true technique: picturing herself long past these years, on a beach, with only the warm breeze to tell her, “No.”

I’m not the only one -right? It’s a highly-creative person thing to do -right?

Tell me it is.

Or, tell me an odd quirk of yours. I’ll put British Chel on hold; now, I’m all ears.

Photo by Karolina Grabowska on Pexels.com

—–

We’ve just begun! So, far this month, I’ve written:
Tuesday, November 1: “The Trouble With Wings

Wednesday, November 2: Today.

©2022 Chel Owens

43 thoughts on “And Then, She Thought to Herself…

1. David Redpath November 3, 2022 / 12:19 am

My wife always talks to herself
    whilst having a shower 🚿
    Whenever I hear her I have to go
    and check that she’s in there by
    herself 😎

2. Ian Kay November 3, 2022 / 4:25 am

I don’t think Brit Chel would use the word “pitcher”; she would say “jug”. 🙂

Talking to yourself is perfectly normal and okay, unless there’s more than two of yourself, then one of yourself gets the wrong idea, thinks the other two selfs are talking about them behind their back… then they call in a fourth self and they say; hey, don’t involve me! It’s not my argument!…

• Chel Owens November 3, 2022 / 10:22 am

British Chel is clearly in need of lexicon adjustments. 🤦‍♀️

I will phone you if more than one of me speaks up.

3. Tippy Gnu November 3, 2022 / 6:52 am

I talk to myself using various cartoon characters, depending upon my mood. Sometimes it’s Foghorn Leghorn, other times Yosemite Sam. Just depends on my mood.

4. TanGental November 3, 2022 / 7:37 am

I have very vigorous debates with myself on topics I find it difficult to articulate or which are ones where I might misspeak and cause offence. And I discuss stories with characters. On a serious point I listened to a pod about a young woman who was on the spectrum and who’s voices told her to stop eating. It took her twenty years and several near death experiences to be able to control those voices; my daughter had a similar experience with her anorexia, though her’s was on the milder side of the spectrum fortunately. There’s a fine line, I imagine being talking to one’s self and being dictated to.

5. Frank Hubeny November 3, 2022 / 8:11 am

I think talking to oneself is a way to describe the normal conversations we all have with God without realizing it. He talks back, but not so much in words. We then are given the opportunity to obey or clarify just what is at stake.

• Chel Owens November 3, 2022 / 5:44 pm

Profound and true, although narrating my water-drinking might be more between me and me.

6. Herb November 3, 2022 / 9:13 am

They say it’s okay to talk to yourself. And, contrary to popular opinion, you can even answer yourself. When you start asking yourself what you just said might be a problem.

7. robertawrites235681907 November 3, 2022 / 11:33 am

HI Chel, I do not talk to myself, but I do burst into spontaneous and joyous song when happy. It’s fortunate that I have a passable voice.

• Chel Owens November 3, 2022 / 5:54 pm

😀 My husband has the same quirk. It’s like a gauge on his his day is going.

8. bosssybabe November 3, 2022 / 1:29 pm

Yesss I often talk to myself in British too lol I thought I was the only one! It’s usually the dignified annoyance of a brit lol

9. Matt November 3, 2022 / 5:17 pm

👍🤗by far a very cool and original quirk, keep it up

• Chel Owens November 3, 2022 / 5:57 pm

😀 With your blessing Matt, I will! …or, maybe I can’t help it! 😀

• Matt November 4, 2022 / 12:53 am

Don’t need my blessing to be a creative soul

10. LA November 4, 2022 / 10:05 am

First…I totally talk to myself. I also have actual conversations with my dog and cat. Secondly…my whole life is one big quirk. I don’t know where to begin

• Chel Owens November 4, 2022 / 1:36 pm

This right here proves talking to oneself (and to one’s animal companions) is a sign of creativity and intelligence.

11. hbsuefred November 13, 2022 / 12:36 pm

Now that I’m living by myself again, I may be talking to myself as most other singletons and a lot of animal moms and dads do, though the latter will really be talking to said pets but at least I realize they are not talking to me when I hear them elsewhere in their own homes. During my previous single adult streak, which I think was around a dozen years in total when I was in my 20s and 30s, I don’t recall that I talked to myself often if at all. Seems to be a lot more common (and acceptable?) here in the 21st century. I can also tell you from personal experience, especially if you’re as good a parent as I think you are, that you will have time to yourself, and maybe a few others who will be around you by YOUR choice, when your kids become adults. I know it’s a long way out there, but hang in there and remember this for comfort when needed!

• Chel Owens November 13, 2022 / 2:44 pm

You sound perfectly normal to me! 🙂

Thank you for the encouragement. I know I can’t keep harping on about it but being in the thick of parenting is a forever feeling.