Onset of Night

The sky wasn’t as bright this evening.

She puttered around, feigning finding things she had forgotten she was looking for.

Ah well; it would all come to rights or she’d do without.

The stars seemed dimmer tonight.

She settled in the rocking chair, having given up on pretense. Only the cat saw, anyway.

No matter; likely, she’d get to it or it would get to her.

The sky outside looked darker.

She turned her head, and rocked to the rhythm of purring.

She’d see; the sun would come out tomorrow.

Night fell on incomplete dreams.

Worlds shifted. She slept.

Photo by cottonbro on Pexels.com

©2022 Chel Owens

Written in response to Charli Mill’s prompt over at Carrot Ranch:

October 31, 2022, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story about how the wheels keep turning. Are the wheels tangible or metaphorical? Go where the prompt leads!

1. Submit by November 5, 2022. Please use the form if you want to be published in the weekly collection. The Collection publishes on the Wednesday following the next Challenge. Rules & Guidelines. Stories must be 99-words.
  2. Carrot Ranch only accepts stories through the form… Accepted stories will be published in a weekly collection. Writers retain all copyrights.
  3. Your blog or social media link will be included in your title when the Collection publishes.
  4. Please include your byline which is the name or persona you attribute to your writing.
  5. Please include the hashtag #99WordStories when sharing the Challenge or Collection posts on social media.

17 thoughts on “Onset of Night

1. Doug Jacquier November 3, 2022 / 10:48 am

Wheels don’t have to turn fast, they just have to keep you going. Nice one, Chel.

2. Nope, Not Pam November 3, 2022 / 1:11 pm

Sounds like me ☺️

3. sweeterthannothing November 4, 2022 / 3:14 am

Hello old friend, you probably don’t remember me from way back when, I only just managed to get back into my writing again, so glad to see you’re still going! What a lovely story.

• Chel Owens November 4, 2022 / 1:33 pm

Of course I remember you! I’m just horrible about reading everyone’s posts in a timely manner. :/ Thank you for the compliment and for still following me despite my flakiness.

4. D. Avery @shiftnshake November 12, 2022 / 5:40 pm

“Night fell on incomplete dreams.”
    And yet the sun will rise. Wheely good response. (Sorry; it really is really good)

• Chel Owens November 12, 2022 / 9:26 pm

❤️ Thanks. I’m fond of yours, too.

• Chel Owens November 12, 2022 / 9:27 pm