“…I will not say the doctrine I have always taught, but the doctrine I should always have liked to teach. That is the idea of taking things with gratitude, and not taking things for granted.

Also sometimes quoted as, “When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.

G.K. Chesterton

21 thoughts on “

1. Nope, Not Pam November 20, 2022 / 12:10 pm

Never heard that one before, my jaw hit the floor. I began to levitate, rid me of hate, then my cat tickled me with her paw

2. Tippy Gnu November 20, 2022 / 1:16 pm

I try to avoid taking anything, in deference to the command against stealing.

3. petespringerauthor November 20, 2022 / 11:16 pm

Gratitude is a highly underrated quality. Instead of thinking about the next material thing we need, our mindset should be thankfulness for the blessings we already have.

4. Ian Kay November 21, 2022 / 3:56 am

I give thanks to Tim Berners-Lee, every second week in June, and I give thanks to all paid-plan bloggers whom allow me to blog for free. ❤️

5. Norah November 21, 2022 / 4:01 am

A perfect quote that many will need to think about to get.
    Thank you, Chelsea.
    (I received notification of this post. Yay!)

6. Lance Greenfield November 21, 2022 / 4:42 am

Every day, I am looking for reasons to be grateful.
    Today, I am grateful to you for giving me this excellent quote about gratitude.
    A perfect gift. Thank you!

• Chel Owens November 21, 2022 / 7:53 am

🙂 And now you’ve inspired me to keep it in mind throughout my day.

• Lance Greenfield November 21, 2022 / 11:02 am

That’s great. And I am grateful again.
        People used to tell me that I am inspirational and a great motivator. Recently, I have sunk to new lows and couldn’t even motivate myself out of a torn paper bag.
        How wonderful to have inspired you today! ❤

7. bosssybabe November 22, 2022 / 12:52 pm

Great reminder! I never ever want to take anything for granted.. sometimes I sit where I am and imagine what could go wrong in that moment (seems so negative) but it also really helps me centre myself in positivity… thinking about how much worse things can be in that moment and thanking the powers that be that it’s not so terrible (wherever I am)!

8. hbsuefred November 27, 2022 / 12:52 pm

This thought kind of dovetails nicely with my comment on the previous post. It’s really all about the attitude and it’s easier to be grateful when looking back, at least as far as I’m concerned. I also take fewer things for granted now.

• Chel Owens November 27, 2022 / 11:37 pm

And you’ve answered what I asked in response. 😀 Seems a good perspective.