Speak to Me Only With Thine Dementia

“Oh. My.” She said it every morning. You would think he’d be accustomed to it, even tired of it.

But she had a way of infusing each word with childlike awe.

That was why he loved it; why her daily exclamation touched him every time. By now, he lived for this. He couldn’t imagine his day starting otherwise.

His wife turned, all smiles, and said the phrase she always followed with: “I think I’ve awakened in paradise.”

He rose and put his arm around her. Staring out their bay windows at the private ocean bay; he, as always, agreed.

©2022 Chel Owens

Photo by Thomas on Pexels.com

Written in response to Carrot Ranch‘s prompt:

November 21, 2022, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story using the phrase, “Oh, my.” It can be used in storytelling or dialog. What is the cause for such a response? Have fun with this one! Go where the prompt leads!

18 thoughts on “Speak to Me Only With Thine Dementia

1. Nope, Not Pam November 23, 2022 / 3:05 am

Very touching 😊

2. Norah November 23, 2022 / 4:08 am

If I get dementia, that’s exactly where I want to get it too. This is a special story, Chelsea. Very touching.

3. CarolCooks2 November 23, 2022 / 5:58 am

My mother sadly has vascular dementia and it would be so lovely for her to wake up in a paradise like that but it’s not to be 🙂

• Chel Owens November 23, 2022 / 12:16 pm

My grandmother became less and less able to communicate. One day, near the end, her husband (my grandfather) walked in and her face lit up. She kept doing a sort of pointing gesture and said, “You. You!” over and over, happily.

4. Tippy Gnu November 23, 2022 / 7:24 am

My wife once worked in a nursing home for dementia patients. She says she wouldn’t mind getting Alzheimer’s, because they always seem to be in a happy place.

• Chel Owens November 23, 2022 / 12:18 pm

That’s a good thought. I’m so terrified of losing my mind, although Kevin says I won’t know it’s happening…

• Tippy Gnu November 23, 2022 / 1:04 pm

Perhaps we’ve all lost our minds, and don’t know it’s happened.

5. obbverse November 23, 2022 / 12:43 pm

My wife works with dementia patients. She loves her work. I could not do it, but she does it so lovingly.